All readers of WAIMH Perspectives in IMH are invited to participate in a virtual online Book Club. To start things off the first book that we are going to share together, is a newly released book. Therapeutic Cultural Routines to Build Family Relationships: Talk, Touch & Listen While Combing Hair© This book is edited by Marva L. Lewis and Deborah J. Weatherston. You can read more about the authors by following this link: (view affiliations)
BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE EDITORS Note new deadline: July 29, 2022
Marva L. Lewis, PhD, Tulane University and Deborah J. Weatherston, PhD, Alliance for the Advancement of Infant Mental Health, ZERO TO THREE Graduate Fellows, are pleased to announce the publication of their co-edited book, Therapeutic Cultural Routines to Build Family Relationships: Talk, Touch & Listen While Combing Hair© (SpringerNature, 2021).
Contributors from a wide range of disciplines explore the simple routine of combing hair as an emotionally powerful tool for social workers and other professionals in the infant and early childhood field to use when observing and interacting with Black and Indigenous families of color. Case stories deepen the understanding of painful childhood messages of colorism regarding racial features, specifically hair type and skin tone. Self-reflective questions invite personal and professional exploration through the anti-racist lens of culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Note new deadline for reflective comments or questions: July 29, 2022
WHERE CAN YOU GET THE BOOK?
- You can buy the book (as a hard copy or as an eBook) at the following link: Therapeutic Cultural Routines to Build Family Relationships: Talk, Touch & Listen While Combing Hair©
- Check with your Local Library and or your University Library.
- Ask your Local or University Library to access the book for you.
- Google books has some of the text freely available: Therapeutic Cultural Routines to Build Family Relationships: Talk, Touch and … – Marva L. Lewis – Google Books
HOW WILL THE BOOK CLUB WORK?
Each chapter in this book concludes with a series of reflective questions. These questions make an ideal springboard from which to frame shared responses, queries, and shared experiences.
Any reflections, thoughts, or questions can be emailed to Maree Foley (Editor-in-chief of Perspectives) at the following email: email@example.com
Subject header: BookClub
Time frame: Comments to be shared by July 29, 2022
When sharing reflections please indicate:
- Your consent to publish your name alongside your commentary, or
- Your consent to publish your commentary without publishing your name and instead to assign a pseudonym, or
- Your non consent to publish your commentary and your name.
Editor-in-chief of Perspectives,